Tuesday 4 September 2012

Banned from Reddit? Join the non-exclusive club.

If you use Reddit it is sometimes worth glancing at your own user page, which will be at an address like this:

http://www.reddit.com/user/Plasma_E/  (where your own username replaces 'Plasma_E')

If you get something like this,

Finding that your posts to Reddit get no responses?  You've probably been 'shadow-banned'
Finding that your posts to Reddit get no responses?
You've probably been 'shadow-banned'.

then welcome to the club!  It means that you have been 'shadow banned' as they call it.  Read more about it here and here.

They won't actually tell you about it.  It seems to be working as normal to you.  You just waste all your time contributing to a supposed 'community' administered by a bunch of tyranical non-democratic spoil-sports and all your efforts are invisible.

It seems easy to get banned, even if you post items from a wide range of sites, and even if the rules of Reddit are deliberately unclear

Tell your friends about it! 

Reddit is not all it claims.

6 comments:

Derby Sceptic said...

Thanks for the hint - I have just checked mine and find I am also blocked. This is my second ID as the first was blocked very quickly.

When I get a moment I will remove the reddit link from my blog as I don't want to promote such as discriminatory service!

Silu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Silu said...

I'm in the club.
"the rules of Reddit are deliberately unclear"
"You just waste all your time contributing to a supposed 'community'"

Anonymous said...

We really need some alternatives to reddit. I know they are out there but they need to be promoted.

Anonymous said...

If you leave a comment that is critical of Israel or pro Palestinian Reddit (s/b called Eddit)

This has happened repeatedly. The comments never violated any rules of Eddit but where not pro Israeli.

PeabodysWayBackGirl said...

Guess I'm now banned. Posted some very old photos in "TheWayWeWere", which seemed the perfect place for them. A lot of positive feedback & enjoyable conversation. However, two Redditors apparently did not like the photos - and went on a vulgar laced tirade everytime I posted. I was the one banned - go figure.