The government has decided not to take the correct moral decision in this allegedly Christian country. Instead they pander to the profits of religious minorities . . . for it is profit and commerce that counts for Cameron and his cronies . . . isn't it? And halal and kosher butchers obviously need to make their profits.
Why is this decision stupid and wrong? There are many reasons, but the following are obviously candidate reasons.
- Animal rights
- Surely we should avoid cruelty wherever possible
- Lies about these animals not suffering are to be doubted
- Religious rights
- Christians have to follow the law
- Secularists and atheists have to follow the law
- Muslims are exempt and can use their cruel slaughter techniques
- Jews are also exempt and can use their same-but-totally-different, cruel, slaughter techniques
- Human rights
- Why do secular abattoirs have to go to the extra expense of humane slaughter when religious abattoirs are permitted to avoid them?
- Since halal and kosher meat is over-produced and distributed on the open market, why should I have to eat it and not have a right to know what I'm eating?
- Since this meat is not labelled, what Quality Assurance is imposed? Or are they exempt from QA too? It wouldn't be a surprise . . . would it?
- Are religious people to be trusted in a secular world anyway? When did you ever hear of anyone 'lying for secularism'?
I think the government is just frightened of the likely response from religious minorities if it took a fair and just stance. In doing this, it discriminates against the majority.
But then again, if this was an effective democracy they would not be in government anyway.