|Three remaining 'horseman', |
with worthy guest, Ayaan Hirsi Ali from here.
Although I know I'm not in a position to have any credible effect on this topic, I am going to indulge myself in a little speculation about the possible candidates. I can only work from my own limited experience, but I will give a 'shout out' to some of the people who have most influenced my thinking over the last couple of years.
That the original horsemen are firmly on my list goes without saying. If that were not the case I would not be writing this.
What criteria are important in this selection though?
- Do the existing three have to approve the selection, or indeed
make the selection themselves? (I'm sure they would want to influence
- Is it necessary for the 4th horseman to be a man? (A tricky, potentially divisive question! I vote for equality, and against positive discrimination.)
- Do they have to be white? (Let's hope that is neither a requirement, nor a reason for positive discrimination.)
- Must they be an English-speaker? (I think the answer is yes, in this case, but accept that English need not be their first language.)
- Should the selection be based on their profession or their performance? (It would be hard to find another well-read polemicist and commentator like Hitch, but all to easy to select another philosopher to join two of the remaining three. The trouble is that that might tip the balance too far from the real world.)
- Indeed should we ban scientists and philosophers from consideration, in favour of an unbiased and well-practised communicator? (I hope not.)
- Do they necessarily have to be an atheist? (I think the answer is yes, but . . . what do you think? e.g. the deist, Thomas Paine, could easily have been a candidate if he was still alive.)
- Or does nobody care? (Its quite possible!)
Next post: Elect the fourth horseman - some candidates! (Huge number of comments with a clear consensus.)
Initial results of the responses: Boghossian leads by a mile!
Some of Boghossian's work summarised: Pretending to know things that you don't know!