Monday 6 February 2012

Jihad against dogs

One of the things that I found most trying about Christmas Day last year was the presence of a Golden Retriever.  This lovely-natured dog belongs to some visiting relatives who came to lunch (and kindly provided part of it).  Much as I like dogs I prefer them to be somewhere other than in my house, and particularly somewhere other than my kitchen.  I find that it is like having a bear in the house.  Large dogs are even more destructive than toddlers, knocking things over with their tails indiscriminately.

But worst of all, whenever I put my hands below waist level I found that they were licked! I must have washed my hands more often that morning than any other in my life. 

Just this month though, I have discovered that it could be even worse if I was a Muslim.  I hadn't realised that many Muslims consider dogs to be unclean.

In one surprising news item, I read that 'Muslims declare Jihad on Dogs in Europe'

This latest canine controversy -- which the Dutch public has greeted with a mix of amusement and outrage -- follows dozens of other Muslim-vs-dog-related incidents in Europe. Critics say it reflects the growing assertiveness of Muslims in Europe as they attempt to impose Islamic legal and religious norms on European society.

I might not like having a dog in the house, but I wouldn't go as far as declaring jihad.  Then again - atheists don't create holy wars do we?  In order to do such evil we need god.

Now I know about this new jihad I have a new urge to invite more dogs into my house!

No comments: